Proper nutrition is important for children too. Recommended is the 5-2-1-0 plan:
- 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day
- 2 hours or less of screen time (computer and TV)
- 1 hour or more of physical activity
- and 0 sugary drinks – more water and low fat milk.
- try seasonal fresh fruits and veggies.
- Mix veggies in pasta, soup or pizza.
- Add fruits to cereal and pancakes.
- Add fresh lemon, lime or orange slices to water for flavoring and keep a pitcher in the fridge.
- Let kids take turns picking a new food to try.
- Make exercise a fun family activity.
- Take walks – make to sure to include the entire family including pets, ride bikes, dance etc.
- Exercise is good for your heart and makes everyone feel better.
- Make gradual changes to increase physical activity and incorporate it into your daily routine.
- Choose fun seasonal activities.
- Try the 3bite rule
- Eat 3 bites of a new fruit/veggie.
- Keep trying!!
- It can take 7-10 tries before you like a new food.
- What is a serving? Adult- a whole fruit the size of a tennis ball. ½ cup chopped fruit or veggies, 1 cup raw, leafy greens, ¼ cup of dried fruit. Kids – the size of the palm of their hand.American children and teens spend 22-28 hours per week watching television, more than any other activity except sleeping. By the age of 70 they will have spent 7-10 years of their lives watching TV.
- Soda has no nutritional value and is high in sugar.
- Energy drinks are NOT sports drinks and should ne ver replace water during exercise.
- Water is fuel for your body.